Welcome To Cork Guide Established 1996

Cork Guide

Ballycotton County Cork
Kinsale West Cork
Bales of Hay in Cork Field

Mallow Attractions

Mallow Castle In 1185 John, King of England, constructed the first castle in Mallow. In 1282, it became the possession of the Earls of Desmond. Following the Geraldine Wars, the estate was confiscated by Queen Elizabeth who granted it to Sir Thomas Norrey, brother of Sir John, along with the Seignory of Mallow and six thousand acres of surrounding country. The Desmond Castle was in such bad repair that in 1585 a new one was constructed on the same site. In 1697, Elizabeth Norrey, daughter of Sir Thomas and goddaughter of the Queen, married Sir John Jephson a soldier of repute. There were four sons and four daughters of the marriage, and their direct descendants have lived at Mallow Castle until recently when it was purchased by the McGinn family of Washington D.C. Since 1928, the old ruined castle has become a National Monument. The new Castle is Private but one may visit the ruined Castle and there one may view the unique white fallow deer.

The Clock House: This fine example of half timber-Tudor construction was erected in 1855. This site once represented the "Old Rakes of Mallow Club". The "Rakes" were wild men who engaged themselves liberally in drinking, gambling and, where possible, hunting, particularly during the Spa Years.Mallow

The Spa House: Now open to the public as an Energy Agency Office which will advise the public on energy conservation and renewable energy. This old English Tudor Revival building erected in 1828, by C.D. Jephson, M.P. who was Lord of the local Fortress at one time, was the focal point of Mallow in the 18th century. The house consisted of a pump-room, waiting and reading apartments which had hot/cold medicinal baths. At the rear of the house lies "Lady's Well", the largest of five found locally.

The Dogs Head The waters of Lady's Well, which have an inexhaustible supply, flow through this fountain. In olden times, people came from far and wide to bottle and bathe in these waters which were reputed to hold healing properties for rheumatism and other discomforts.

Thomas Davis House:The street we now find ourselves in is officially known as Davis Street, or Main St., so called after this great 'Patriot'. It was here at No. 73 that Davis was born (1814-1845). He was a founder member of the 'Young Ireland Movement' and a nationally acclaimed writer. Mallow's Pipe Band is appropriately called after it's honored son. He is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery in Dublin.

Old Bay Window: The Main Street had many fine Bay Windows and old shop fronts which represent the 'Boarding Establishments' used during the 'Spa Years'. At No. 65 over the Trustee Savings Bank, note the very decorative plaster work around the windows. On the opposite side of the street at No.115, now the Monument House, note the fine protruding bay windows and old style shop front. We now approach the junction of O'Brien St., so called after yet another famed son of Mallow William O'Brien.

Monument Here stands the monumental statue of J.J. Fitzgerald, B.A.C.C.,C.U.D., a profound scholar, patriot and champion of the 'oppresses'. Born 26th February, 1872 . He died - 6th April 1906.

Canon Sheehan House: It was here at No. 29, O'Brien St., that Canon Sheehan was born (1882-1913). Sheehan, a world famous novelist, served as Parish Priest in the nearby town of Doneraile, where he compiled some of his more famous novels - such as 'Glenanaar', 'My New Curate', and 'The Graves of Kilmorna'. Today one can view the grave and full size bronze statue of this famed literary priest in the courtyard of Doneraile's Catholic Church.

Town Hall: This building represents the seat of Mallow's Civic Authority - The Urban District Council. The existing structure replaces the 'Old Town Hall' which was burned on September 25th. 1920 during the troubles. The public library is also housed here

William O'Briens House: It was here at Bank Place (now O'Meara's Solicitors) that William O'Brien was born (1858-1928). He was a distinguished journalist, profound 'Nationalist', Leader and Land-Leaguer. O'Brien served as a member of Parliament firstly for Mallow and later for Cork. He is buried in the graveyard at the rear of St. Mary's Catholic Church.

St. James Protestant Church: On approaching this handsome Late English Ecclesiastical Church, one must note the commanding 'Gates' which have been restored to their formal grandeur and are now over one hundred years old. St. James Church was built in 1824, replacing the frail ruined St. Annes close by, who's bell, incidentally, still serves the community. The interior is of 'Gothic' tradition with two fine stained glass windows commemorating the famed explorers, Arthur Mounteney Jephson and Henry Mortem Stanley respectively, also Desmond Jephson, son of the former explorer who was killed in London in 1938.

St. Mary's Catholic Church: Close-by, yet set back from the main drag lies the town's oldest Catholic Church which was constructed in the early years of this century. Cruciform in design it follows the Lombardo Romanesque style of architecture and is a most impressive landmark in the center of town. Here again we see yet another memorial stained-glass window in honour of Canon Sheehan.

Anthony Trollope's House Now a private dwelling it was here at No.139 Main St., that this celebrated English Novelist resided for a time. Working as an 'Overseer' in the local Post Office, he was also an active 'Hunts Man', who regularly participated with the Dunhallow Hunt Club (the oldest club in Ireland, founded in 1745) and in turn transformed his hunting images and experiences of local countryside into some of his most famous novels.

Knockroura: Can be found on part of the Nagle chain of mountains - 2.5kms. south of the town. Here one can enjoy elevated forest walks, scenic views and quiet picnic facilities.

Dromaneen Castle: 1.5kms. west of mallow lies this 16th century ruined castle - home of the O'Callaghan Clan.

Barretts Castle: Four miles south of Mallow lies Barretts Castle situated on the commanding high elevation above the River Clyda. The walls are still standing but from the manner in which they were built and the decayed condition of the building, it would seem that the castle was erected at a very early date. The first of the Barrett family is said to have come to Ireland with 'Strongbow' about the end of the 12th. Century.

Nano Nagle Centre: 8 kms. east of Mallow lies the newly established center in honour of Nano Nagle, Foundress of the Presentation Order of Sisters. This center attracts widespread devotion annually and visitors are always welcome.

Ballybeg Abbey: 12 kms. North of Mallow (on the main Limerick road) one can view the ruined monastery founded in 1237 by Philip de Barry, which was later castellated in the 15th century. Note the dove-cote or pigeon house to the south east of the Church.

Doneraille Court/Demesne: Approx. 13 kms. North-east of Mallow one can enjoy and explore 400 acres of vast grasslands, shaded forest walks and view the red deer that roam leisurely. Open to the public with car parking facilities available. The Georgian House, built in 1725, was the Seat of the St. Leger family. Tea rooms open during the summer season. Doneraile Court, which is being renovated at present, will be open to the public at a future date.

Spenser's Castle: Moving 5 kms north of Doneraile, the remains of this castle in which Spenser is said to have written a major part of 'The Faerie Queen' can be seen. All that remains of the castle is a small tower about 13m. high.

Bowen's Court: From the town of Doneraile we move east for a distance of 14 kms. Here at Farahy Kildorrery, we visit 'Bowen's Court', the birth place of the famous novelist - Elizabeth Bowen. The grave of the authoress of 'To the North' and 'The Little Girls' is located by the west door of the old Church of Ireland which dates back to 1721.

Annesgrove Gardens: Located near the village of Castletownroche, 16kms. East of Mallow, one can visit one of Ireland's National Botanical Gardens. Incorporated within the grounds is a fine 18th. Century house, a woodland and walled garden and a varied collection of rhododendrons, rare trees and shrubs.

Kilavullen Caves Located in the village of Kilavullen, 9.5kms east of Mallow one can visit these spectacular caves with formations dating back to the ice ages.

Go to top of page