Sheep's Head - a peaceful un spoilt peninsula, which has some of Ireland's most beautiful scenery Enjoy a holiday on Sheep's Head - it is a peaceful unspoilt peninsula, which has some of the most beautiful scenery in all of Ireland. Because of our proximity to the Gulf Stream, we also have perhaps the mildest climate in Ireland - our daffodils are usually out in January!
Many visitors come year after year to the Sheep's Head because they love its idyllic quietness; there are no traffic jams, where they can easily get to know local people. Is it any wonder we always greet them with "Welcome home again". Sheep's head is a place to get away from it all, to just relax and unwind, which is still not far from other more crowded visitor centers. There is a full range of accommodation available - award winning West Cork Farm Guesthouses, Bed & Breakfasts, Self-Catering Houses and Camping.
There are plenty of things to do on Sheep's Head as well.
- Walk the Sheep's Head Way, winner of a Waterford Crystal Walker Award. Chosen as the best walk in Ireland by Country Walking magazine, this 55 mile Long Distance Walk has a huge variety of terrain all with beautiful views, and there are many long and short loop walks available. See our map guide, which is for sale in local pubs and shops.
- Visit the many historic tombs and monuments on our peninsula - see our map for details.
- There is a magnificent "Ring" drive starting outside Bantry along the Goat's Path to Kilcrohane, back then through Ahakista (stop off at beautiful Air India Memorial), then on to Durrus. Contrast the sheer cliffs and stark beauty of the north side (the sunsets are incredible) with the more lush south side where the road runs right alongside Dunmanus Bay.
- Take a trip to Carbery Island to visit our seal colony, and on the way back catch a mackerel! For the serious angler, all day sea fishing is available.
- Have dinner in one of our renowned restaurants or enjoy a simple good values meal in one of our many guesthouses. Listen to Irish Music and have a pint in one of our friendly pubs!
- There are many fishing and bathing spots, both sandy and shingley beaches, scattered throughout the peninsula. Tennis courts and children's playgrounds are also available.
- Visit a beautiful kept private garden open to the public.
- Or just enjoy the peace and tranquillity amongst stunning surroundings and friendly people. Rare enough in today's world, as we're sure you'll agree.
- Walking sites for West Cork walking holidays include Hillside Walks and West Cork Walks where you can enjoy guided and self guided walking routes, plan your holiday to Ireland now.
What others have said about The Sheep's Head:
"The Sheep's Head is a peaceful and unchanged corner of Ireland. It is one of the best-kept secrets in the whole country, the most beautiful landscape in Ireland".
Footloose in the West of Ireland. Mike Harding.
"Short, sweet and scenic, this (The Sheep's head Way) must be the best in Ireland. It takes in a superb moorland crest and rugged cliffs, as well as easy lowland terrain." Country Walking.
One of the most attractive maps ever made in Ireland", Irish Trish Times description of the Sheep's Head Way map.