The tower house (castle) was built by Dermot McCarthy Mor
in 1438 and the family resided there until 1719. The castle and lands were taken over by
Henry Wallis c. 1725. His decendents resided there until 1900 A.D. when the family went
bankrupt. The Sisters of the Infant Jesus opened the Drishane Convent residential school
for girls in 1909 and this continued until 1992 when it closed and was purchased by Noel
C. Duggan. Plans have been drawn up to develop the manor house a luxury hotel and the
estate as a golf course. The tower has been declared a national monument and is open to
Turbid is probably the best known of a number of wells in the parish. Turbidwell is
located one mile to the west of the town and is reputed to be the second largest in
Britain and Ireland, being about 40ft. in diameter and a source of supply for Millstreet
town and countryside. Each day during the month of May hundreds of people visit the grotto
which has been dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, to pray and "do the
rounds", a tradition which dates back into the dimness of history. (A booklet on the
history of the well is available).
Also well known, is situated in Cullen village just 5 north
This is 3 miles to the east of the town is located at the
base of Mushera Mountain. An unusual feature here are the Stations of the Cross built in
natural stone by local craftsmen in the early 1980's.
Situated just a short distance from St. John's Well and
worth a visit, not only for its archaeological interest but because of the fine hilltop
A fine example of the work of Irish craftsmen. Its stained
glass windows are among the finest seen anywhere.
In Carnegie Hall is open all year round and on Sunday
afternoons or by appointment (tel. 70343). Though established only in 1978 the museum
carries an extensive range of slides, photographs, audio and video tapes of recent local
events as well as a comprehensive history of the area. "Theme" exhibitions are
on display several times a year.
This also houses the Library, Courtrooms and Cork Co.
Council local Engineer's Office.
Located adjacent to the Community School and the venue for
the 1993 Eurovision Song Contest, stages the Millstreet International Horse Show in August
and the Indoor International Horse Show at the end of October each year.
With its playing fields, children's play area and pitch and
putt course, is a place in which to relax on a pleasant summer's day.