|Twinned with Guidel, Brittany
Carrigaline is an ideal base for exploring
Counties Cork and Kerry. The town is 12km from Cork
City and 5km from Ringaskiddy
Ferryport or Cork Airport. Famous for its pottery,
Carrigaline is one of three satellite towns built around Cork
City. It is the largest in the Owenabue Valley, offering the
visitor a very comprehensive range of services and facilities. Currabinny Forest Trail is just a short distance east of
Carrigaline and represents one of many scenic walks in Carrigaline
and its environs. St John's Holy Well on the outskirts of the town
is a recognised historical landmark.
Carrigaline derives its name from Carraig Uí
Leighin, a nearby out crop of rock where a Norman settler, Philip
de Prendergast built his castle, He called it Beauvoir (pleasant
view) and there is still a house in Carrigaline bearing this name.
Thirty years ago this was a rural village with a population of
about 300. Today it is a thriving dormitory suburb with over
Carrigaline's main historical interest lies in the
ruins of Carrigaline Castle, which is on high limestone, bluff
about a mile outside town, just beyond the Church of Ireland. Take
the road to the left beside the Catholic Church at the entrance to
the town. The castle was built soon after the Norman occupation of
Cork in 1171. The present ruins consist of a typical Norman Tower,
another, probably later, building with a pointed roof and several
outhouses, one of which is used by the farmer who works the and
If you are interested in a very attractive walk continue down
the Coolmore road following signposts for about 4 miles to
On the road to Currabinny Wood you will see Coolmore, one of
the finest examples of Georgian period in Co Cork, built in 1788
by W Newenham it is constructed to a design that consists of
simple rectangular shapes with no unnecessary ornamentation.
The entrance to Coolmore is flanked by eight lodges built in
1815 in the "Gothic Cottage" style, forming a crescent
around the magnificent wrought-iron gates with an archway above
bearing the name Coolmore. Coolmore is the home of South Union
Foxhounds. The owner, Mr Morth Newenham, is the Master for Hounds.
The house unfortunately is not open to the public. There ia a walk
along the old railway line which runs into Crosshaven so you are
spoilt for choice for walking routes.
Currabinney Woods are largely deciduous woods and are
sensational in autumn but make a pleasant walk at any time of
year. They originally belonged to a private house, and there is a
gazebo in the centre where the owners used to take tea. At the
highest point in the woods is a pre-historic burial cairn in
rather bad condition, known locally as the Giants Cave. The forest
trails here are unusual in that they were originally laid out for
horse and carriage so that they are wide and airy, with none of
the enclosed feeling that dense woodland can produce. The woods
are situated on a peninsula which looks across the water to Crosshaven.
In the distance on the other side is Spike Island, and beyond it Cobh
and its Cathedral. It takes about 45 minutes to make
a circuit of the woods.
Wednesday May 29, 2013